Sunday, June 28, 2009

Garden Happenings

Last week my $150 Tumbleweed Composter arrived in an enormous cubicle box. The directions were clear and within 20 minutes we had a composter. Over the last week we have been accumulating yard waste, so it's already half way filled. After we picked its place along the fence, I shoveled in the mulberries. Last year I ate mulberries but I never want to see another one again. Now we can turn them into dirt.The radishes sprouted quicker than we thought they would. The picture is after one week of growth. (white mulberry in foreground) Tonight I thinned them to one inch apart.The carrots have sprouted as well, less substantial than expected.Here's a bean sprout. We're a little late to be starting them, but we'll hope for a long fall.Our first tomato.Lastly, here are the tripods we fashioned out of bamboo. The plan is for the beans to climb these as well. Today we planted 3 cucumber plants (for pickling), 4 cabbages, some more cilantro, some more dill, and chicory. I planted a couple delphinium seeds in a cut-off drainpipe, only half-heartedly thinking it will grow.

1 comment:

  1. love the garden, and the composter looks awesome. I'm trying to convince adam to get one for us

    ReplyDelete